Wednesday, May 30, 2012

Worthwhile Books to Read

In trying to put together a book list for my kids,
I realized that some of those book lists out there are full of junk.
So, in remembering that my mother-in-law gave me a list many years ago,
I rummaged through some old papers, and pulled these out.
I figure, she's someone I'd like to have a book list from, rather than guessing if it's good or not.

Click to enlarge:








I also enjoy these words of advice from the Thomas Jefferson Education book:
  • discussing goals on a monthly basis,
  • selecting curriculum which may be used by one child one day,
  • inspiring children to consider this or that,
  • setting up a rich, learning environment,
  • opening the world to them, and
  • reading and discussing classics with them,
  • mentoring them each step of the way.

Write your List of Classic Books You might find it useful to look at the Sonlight catalogue, the Veritas Press Catalogue, Greenleaf Press.... and also look at online booklists such as Ambleside Online , the 1000 Good Books List and otherliterature reading lists.




Loved this TJEd for Teens book list.  Click link.


I also enjoy these books that help in choosing books.

Honey for a Child's Heart
Honey for a Teen's Heart
Honey for a Mother's Heart



1 comment:

Bec and Doug said...

A friend of mine from high school does a blog called Good Clean Reads where she rates books she reads. Here's the web address if you'd ever like to check it out. She gives them ratings on things like profanity, violence, and sex so you know before you pick it up that you're not gonna like it. http://goodcleanreads.blogspot.com/

Thanks for these lists. I love good book lists.